The Reading List Tool works best in Reading List supported browsers.
- Chrome and Firefox are supported browsers and are regularly tested for use with this software by the vendor. We recommend you use one of these browsers when using the software.
- Microsoft Edge is the only supported Microsoft browser. Internet Explorer is no longer supported.
- Safari is currently not supported, but may still work depending on your configuration.
"Illegal Institution" Error
When trying to access your reading List from OAKS, you might encounter an "Illegal Institution" error (especially if you are trying to use the Safari browser). There are few different solutions to this error you can try:
- Switch to a supported browser. Chrome or Firefox should not cause a problem.
- If you are using Safari, you may need to configure your browser to accept third party cookies for this application.
- If you are using Safari, and your browser is configured to accept third party cookies, then we recommend that you make sure your Reading List is set to open as an external resource in OAKS. You can do this by:
- In OAKS, click on the arrow to the right of the "Reading List - Pilot Program Participants Only" link and select Edit Properties in Place.
- Check the box next to Open as External Resource.
- When all else fails, contact your library liaison and we will confirm that your account is configured correctly.
My Students Can't Access My List
If you receive reports that your students can't access your reading list, there are a couple of settings to check:
- Did you send your reading list to the Library for processing? To do so, just click the "Library Review" button near the top of your list.
- If you don't see the green "published" tag underneath your reading list title, than this is likely the problem
- If some students can access the list but others can not, please reach out to your library liaison for assistance. The problem is likely with the students settings and not your reading list.