Skip to main content

Copyright: Public Performance Rights

A brief guide to sources regarding copyright guidelines.

What is PPR?

If the use of a film does not fall under educational fair use, it falls under public use. 

To legally screen a film in public it is necessary to have written permission of the copyright holder or purchase a one-time public performance rights license.  Sometimes the Addlestone library purchases non feature films with the ppr included. You may contact the Addlestone library to determine if the film was originally purchased with ppr.


Obtaining PPR

Finding and contacting the entity that holds the copyright to a title can be difficult.  Often the film distributor from where the film was purchased can sell you the one time performance rights to that title.

If the film was not originally purchased with ppr, you may contact SWANK motion pictures to obtain a one-time performance license. Swank Motion Pictures, Inc.®  is a major non-theatrical movie distributor, online CE/CME education distributor and public performance licensing agent in venues where feature movies are shown publicly.

 Swank Motion Pictures, Inc.®

Swank Motion Pictures provides both public performance licensing rights and licensed movies to numerous non-theatrical markets, including worldwide cruise lines, U.S. colleges and universities, K-12 public schools and libraries, American civilian and military hospitals, motor coaches, Amtrak trains, correctional facilities and other markets such as parks, art museums and businesses.